Converting TibDoc files

This forum is a place for users to discuss how they use PechaMaker.
Problems and questions can be posted.
The information will then be available to everyone.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bj Lhundrup
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:33 am

is there a way with out up setting anyone, to make it so we can convert TibDoc. files like we do the RTF files?

FWJ
Site Admin

Converting TibDo files

Post by FWJ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:43 pm

The TibDoc files are saved in a proprietary format. As far as I know, that format has never been published. So I think trying to make use of that format would not be appreciated, even if I could reverse engineer the format.

Can you just open the TibDoc file with TibDoc and then save it as a RTF file? Is there something in the TibDoc format that is lost when saving as RTF? In other words, is there something other than just the text characters that you are trying to get from the TibDoc file?

It is possible that THDL.org has some public code to read a TibDoc file. If anyone knows of this, please post a note.

cfynn

Post by cfynn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:59 am

The actual textual content of most traditional Tibetan books is of course usually long out of copyright - same for things like the Chandra Das dictionary. So, if you can extract the plain text, I guess you can use it. "Reverse engineering" of file formats in order to read them is usually OK too - provided you didn't have access to the original code under the terms of an NDA or something like that. There are many cases of people reverse engineering proprietary file formats to read them into other applications and afaik this is perfectly legal.

Publishers may of course try to claim copyright on a particular new edition of an old text - especially if they have added things like a table of contents or index on which parts they can claim copyright - or where they have published a work in an entirely new format.

Interestingly if you publish an electronic version of a text embedding the Tibetan Machine font (or any part of it) - or embedding any other font which has been released under the terms of the plain GNU General Public Licence (GPL) - then you cannot enforce a restricted copyright since under the terms of that licence any work embedding that font automatically becomes GPL'd as well.

You can find a reference to this issue at: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#Fonts - and other places on the FSF site.
The GNU GPL can be used for fonts. However, note that it does not permit embedding the font in a document unless that document is also licensed under the GPL.
Elsewhere someone has remarked:
Simply stated, it appears that using GPL-licensed fonts in a document makes your document subject to the GPL.
- though I think that may be overstating the case where the fonts are not embedded.

To get round this, FSF have introduced an exception clause which can be included in GPL licences for fonts: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/g ... tException - but of course one can't retroactively apply this clause to fonts which have already been released under the GPL without that clause.

I guess the original developer could release an entirely new version of the font with new glyphs or features and then apply the GPL licence with this clause added - but this new version might also have to be derived from something other than the the previously plain GPL'd version.

Anyway it seems that if TibetDoc or PDF files have the GPL'd Tibetan Machine, or Tibetan Machine Web font embedded in them then those files are in effect automatically public domain under the terms of the GPL.

also see:
Unintended Consequences of Using GPL Fonts - and scroll down that page to see the discussion.

Personally I don't see this as a bad thing - after all no one formerly claimed anything like "copyright" on texts in Tibet.

- Chris
Christopher J Fynn
Dzongkha Development Commission
Thimphu, Bhutan

FWJ
Site Admin

Importing TibetDoc files

Post by FWJ » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:11 am

I have a version of PM that can read in .dct (TibetDoc) files. It only reads in the text; it does not read in any format information. No information about font name, font size, font style, etc. It looks to me like that information is not stored in a .dct file. So, PM just reads the text characters and interprets them as either "Tibetan" or ANSI-western or Diacritical. "Tibetan" characters will appear in the TCC font that is currently selected in PM. The user must select a font and font size to use for ANSI-western characters, and a font and size for Diacritical characters.

I'm considering adding this feature to the next release and I'd like to do some more testing. It would help if someone could send me their complex .dct files. (Once it works I'd be happy to send the converted file back to you in .pxp or .rtf format.)

FWJ
Site Admin

Importing TibetDoc files

Post by FWJ » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:54 am

PechaMaker version 1.12 has a basic (OK, experimental) level of support for importing .dct files.

It looks like .dct files do not contain information indicating which fonts were in use when the file was written. So, I decided to pop up a dialog that explains this and asks for indications of which fonts and sizes you want applied during import. Let me know if the instructions on the dialog are not clear.

Bj Lhundrup
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 am

I have not been able to import any that I tried. What would be the reason for this?

FWJ
Site Admin

Importing TibetDoc files

Post by FWJ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:51 am

Please send me a few of the .dct files that don't work.
And let me know what is failing for you.
Thanks Bj