Support for possible new fonts

This forum is a place for users to discuss how they use PechaMaker.
Problems and questions can be posted.
The information will then be available to everyone.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bj Lhundrup
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 pm

I'm thinking about have a friend from Bhutan, who has very nice calligraphy make me the jatson, nyingthig, and dudjom Dakini-scripts. and I would like to make then into a type-able font. friends of mine know how to do this, and said they would help. Tony Duff is not making more for add-ons because of the work that is being done at Shechen on the Rinchen Terdzo, but not way will he do them all. And at this time I am in need of the Jatson Ter-yigos and Daki-script...

Anyway if I can get these painted and then scanned and then put in to a font and keyboard, I would like to offer them as a download with Pechamaker. First is that ok with you, and do you have any ideas?

I wish to as time goes, maker all the different terma's Daki-letters, and everyone keeps telling me I can not do it because there are so many that one font will not do. I want to make a new font for each different terma lineage...

FWJ
Site Admin

support for new fonts

Post by FWJ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:35 am

Bj, I thought it would be better to split this off into a new topic...

First let me say that I don't know anything about creating fonts.
But I can give you the font requirements for PechaMaker.
- PechaMaker should be able to use any standard TrueType or OpenType font.
- To qualify as a "recognized Tibetan font" the font needs to meet these extra requirements:
// 1)Have the space at codepoint 32
// 2)Have the tsheg at codepoint 45
// 3)If there is a shad, then have a Rinchen pung shad in the same font file
(Some typefaces use more than one font file, so make sure all forms of shad are in one file.)

*** I would strongly recommend that anyone making a Tibetan font follow those 3 rules ***
Even if you feel the script does not need a tsheg or space, put them in anyway.

To support Tibetan line break calculations in PechaMaker,
I just add a table to identify each codepoint containing any of the following glyphs:
- tsheg, shad, Rinchen pung shad, namcad, tertshe, or any vowel
Bj wrote:I wish to as time goes, maker all the different terma's Daki-letters, and everyone keeps telling me I can not do it because there are so many that one font will not do. I want to make a new font for each different terma lineage...
For sure, I think having a separate font file for each script would be a good thing. Otherwise, users will find it difficult to keep straight just which script they are using. Having one script per font file means that the font name can reflect the script name. Mixing scripts in one font file means you would have to have some external document around to tell you what's what. I would say that having a few more font files is not a problem with today's systems.

Now we come to the part about keyboard mapping. Please make sure you have a very stable map before you release it to the world. Having different versions floating around is frustrating once people expect a map to work a certain way. If you give me the map I can code PechaMaker to support it, but it will not be changeable by the user.

So Bj, go for it!

2007/02/21 - Edited to be a little clearer.
Last edited by FWJ on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bj Lhundrup
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:44 pm

As we have now started the work of write the letter about 3 to 4 inch in size, I began to think that I really not to sure as tho which I think is the best way to do this.

letter by letter (which was what I was thinking) or the whole brda yigs- 'Dakini letters'? I'm really thinking this is the best way now. But that can be up about 12 letters sometimes. What do you all think. Any ideas?

Bj Lhundrup

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:48 pm

Ok, do you know the size of the space so that our Daki-script and TCC font will match in this way. Because if you look at the BIG difference between Sambhota and TCC you can really tell, I would rather these be like TCC the Sambhota. then if people wish to use with sambhota it will just look like extra spaces.

In PM the lines all come out the same anyway, do they not?

FWJ
Site Admin

Re: support for new fonts

Post by FWJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Bj wrote:Ok, do you know the size of the space so that our Daki-script and TCC font will match in this way?
I am completely ignorant of how fonts are created so my comments here may not be very useful, but here is what I think ...

Yes, the width of the space character in different Tibetan fonts varies by an amazing amount. PechaMaker does not set or adjust the width of characters, the width is defined by tables within the font file. The Windows GDI TextOut() function uses that information and it adjusts height/width depending on the selected font size. I imagine you could look in the TCC .ttf files and copy the TEXTMETRIC values for the space character. Then you would always get the same width as the TCC fonts for any font size. And it would work in any word processor.

Note that these font files have room for 224 glyphs (codepoints 32-255). Each glyph can be anything. So if you wanted to, you could define more that one 'space character' and give them different widths. Then your font could look nice when mixing with different Tibetan fonts. But the keyboard map would have to provide for entry of the different space characters, and the user would have to know that they are available and use the correct one.

Bj wrote:In PM the lines all come out the same anyway, do they not?
If you mean "do the line heights all come out the same", the answer is yes. In PM the line height is set by the user; the font and font size selections do not affect that height.

Bj Lhundrup

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:31 am

by the way who out there is useing the U-me fonts from sambhota?

What do you think have they been useful are they nice. I seen for just a moment in Nepal. never did get to test.

anyway tell me what you think..

and can they be used within PM?

Bj Lhundrup

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Have you seen this newer (about 8months old or so) U-me font called "Monlam" useing the Bod-yig typing keyboard. Man would it be great to have that within PM. Even if we had to use bod-yig key-map, though the TCC key-map would make it easier.

It is a free program and fonts (about 5 of them), and I'll even contact the Gelug monk that made them to see if we can use, but being the it is free I beleive we can anyway cann't we? I'll send you the folder I'm not sure if you have it or know of it.

But if there was a way to type in the TCC key-map for these 4-different U-mey fonts that would be amazing. tell me what you think... People say there is not real use for typing in U-me, but I asure you that it will get used. and would look GREAT within the PM format.

FWJ
Site Admin

"Monlam" Ume font

Post by FWJ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:35 am

I haven't seen that one that I can remember; and I have been looking for a Ume font to support.

I don't know the Bod-Yig keyboard map. But if you could point me to a specification for it I can try to add it. The Bod-Yig typeface is all in one font, so the keyboard map might not be too difficult . Note that PM already supports Bod-Yig as a recognized Tibetan font. It should currently format correctly if you paste or Import Bod-Yig text.

Let's try to figure out what's up with our mail issues, then you can send me the Monlam font!!!

Thanks Bj

FWJ
Site Admin

Re Monlam fonts

Post by FWJ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:27 am

OK, mail problem solved (huge file).
Now I have the new Monlam Bodyig ver2 installer (see http://ltwa.net/)

Now I need instructions in English :oops:
Can someone tell me what the 4 buttons on the installer say?
I can't quite tell from the pictures.
I just want to get the fonts out, I don't want to install the program.

Thanks

Bj Lhundrup

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:52 am

I'v been working on trying to get the unicode stuff to work, for the last few days so I have not try these new installers. Also I do not know the bod-yig key-map so I have not use this font to date. I played with it a few times, but never really took the time. Thus my asking you about making it part of PM. However I know that Khenpo has.

Also for the older one the Uchen font has 4file then the rest I think are 1file for each different font. Let me look and get back to you tomorrow.

But I know Khenpo knows. If I remember you dont live near each other, do you. That would be easy. Anyway give him a call.

And the monk e-mailed me thanking me for showing him the PM program I think we will love it, and not sure if he understood me completely, but it seems he is really in faver of monlam being part of PM. then he gave me the ver.2 link. So I think his for it.

FWJ
Site Admin

Re Monlam fonts

Post by FWJ » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 am

Bj, could you send me the email address and name for the monk you have been in contact with. I would like to ask him for the map of the Bod-Yig keyboard or other keyboards that work with his fonts. Thanks

Bj Lhundrup

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:42 am

Lobsang is his name

lomon05@yahoo.com

FWJ
Site Admin

Re: Monlam font support

Post by FWJ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:12 am

Oh, I see. I guess he is the person developing the fonts, I didn't catch that. Thank you, I will contact Lobsang Monlam to ask about the keyboard.

I have already added support for recognizing "Monlam ouchan 1", 2, 3, and 4 as Tibetan fonts; that will be in 1.11.

fwj