images on pecha pages

This forum is a place for users to discuss how they use PechaMaker.
Problems and questions can be posted.
The information will then be available to everyone.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
FWJ
Site Admin

images on pecha pages

Post by FWJ » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:41 am

Hi BJ,
In answer to the question you asked about inline images in another post:
I was also wanting to ask if you know of a way that we can add yidam or lama pictures to the fancy pages. I have yet to seen a pecha program that lets us do this outside of cut and paste on hard-copies. Have you thought of this?
Yes many people have asked for this. I think it's probably the most popular request. Here's my thinking... The design principle behind PechaMaker is that it (1)draws boxes and (2)automatically formats text to fit them. That is, (1)you set the controls to draw Title, Fancy, and Body pages the way you want them, and then (2)you "drop in" text and PM will format the text to fit. The beauty of PM is that if you change the layout then the text can be automatically reformatted correctly because the text and the boxes are not "connected" in any way. The ability to automatically reformat correctly starts to disappear as soon as you start to force line breaks with hard returns, or insert tabs, etc. Inserting an image completely breaks the model because an image needs to appear someplace specific and PM looses the ability to arrange things as needed.

So I am still thinking about how this might work. Chris has suggested just allowing images that are only the same height as the line. Would that be useful for what you want to do?

fwj
Last edited by FWJ on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bj Lhundrup
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:59 pm

What you mean by images the same size as the line brakes, I take to mean that if say we had some kind of Ter-yigo then we could add the image to the lines, is this about the size you are speaking of? Maybe I do not understand, how big could this be?

What I was thinking after your reply, was if you just made side margins in the fancy-page (as there are not existent unless we make them right now), that can not be typed in or anything other then pasteing an image into, if it was separate from the pecha lines. So this way we can not put the images in anyplace we wish. Thinking about the pecha I have seen, out side of the two to four fancy-page with line-drawings on the sides, (like I'm speaking of) the only place I see images in on the last page, in the middle (example being Choying Dzod with the dorje on lotus seat). Does this idea still run into the same problem? I'm not a programmer so I really do not know this all works.

I have seen programs were you make a folder of images to choose from. Then the program automatically formats the images, so lets say you have a tab for adding an image in the left-fancy margin and a tab for adding images in the right-fancy margin, when you hit each of these tabs a window comes up and you choose the image-file name you wish to add. Allowing for adding images in this folder as needed. What you think?

FWJ
Site Admin

images on pecha pages

Post by FWJ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:23 am

Yes, what I ment was that the image would be small, just the height of a line. This would be required if the image is "attached" to the text.

Having a fixed amount of space on the left or right of a page is a good idea. If I set it up so you give a page number at the time you "add" the image, you would get the space for the image (and the image) on only that page. When you add or delete text, the image would not move; you would have to go change the page number by hand. What I'm tryig to say is that the image is not "attached" to the text. Would that be OK? You would also have to give a height and width for the space.

I will have to do some research to find out what it takes to scale an image. Are the images you want to add already scaled to the size you want? If they are, then it would be much easier.

cfynn

Re: images on pecha pages

Post by cfynn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:13 pm

FWJ wrote:Yes, what I ment was that the image would be small, just the height of a line. This would be required if the image is "attached" to the text....
Images the height of the line (in-line images) would be very useful for text which contains Khandro Dayig (dakini writing) or similar.

Images which occur at the left & right of the page shouldn't be too difficult. Where pecha has one image in the center of the page and text to the left and right it is of course more difficult. I think you need to have some sort of box for containg the image which text flows around.

It shouldn't be too difficult for people to pre-scale the image to the required size. Of course it would be nice if you could insert SVG or EPS images which would print out at maximum device resolution.

- Chris

Bj Lhundrup
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 am

Now that PM supports images in-line and to the side, I having the time of my life. I have things coming out looking amazing. Is anyone using this new support. I would love to see what you have done. I send to PM creator some of the first things I did so as to 'show it off' haha. No really it does look great. Anyway what images are you all using? I have amassed quite a lot of line-drawings of Nyingma Lamas but there is not a lot of good yidams, and I have taken a LOT of time exporting from some PDF pechas the ornamentation from the cover pages and cleaning them, but is anyone make digitally these images from the ground up? Are any of you computer artiest?

Maybe we can share images???

Bj Lhundrup

Post by Bj Lhundrup » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 am

I never got around to adding support for a centered image. I'll go back and take a look.
I know, we had talked about this on the phone once and you said that as it was now you could insert an image in the center with writing on either side. I got around to trying once some time ago and I found no way to make the writing on both sides look right.

This is what I was asking about, whether you had ever tested this. One of these days I'm going to get back to my work and I'll want to do three images to a page on a few that my khenpo ask me to try on. All in good time I know more than most how much you have put into this. Future Buddhist have no idea what you've done for them.